The weekend was really well spent at Code Cloud with many other Code Academy students. As always, I wish I would have made more progress and paired with more people. That said, I’m really close to have all the working parts for the bones of my Bike to Work Week app. Big gains this weekend:
I pushed all my new stuff to Heroku, including the database. Now I’ve got to finish up the main functionality, and start trying to make this thing look presentable.
Also have to think about what I’m going to talk about for my 3 minutes on Demo Day.
I can’t believe it’s been 6 weeks, and Code Academy is half over. I am disappointed in myself that I haven’t spent as much time coding and studying as I should be. That said, I’m still keeping up in class pretty well, and I’ve made a little progress on my app. I spent at least 20 hours coding last weekend, planning to study on Saturday and work on my app Sunday. Saturday morning, I woke up to a practice challenge from Raghu Betina, and ended up working on that all weekend. I’m sure it wasn’t a waste of time, but at the end of the weekend, I kind of wished I could have it back…
Goals for the rest of the week:
Hold me to it!!
At the end of last week, I was starting to feel a little dangerous. I built a web-enabled app that showed a list of things, allowed functionality to add/update/delete the items in the list, and display details — all database-driven! This felt awesome. Until I started to work on my own app.
I should clarify. I have decided to work on 2 apps: (1) Monitor Mania. This is an app for work that will power the TV monitor we have for HomeFinder employees. We show slides with stats and consumer feedback, and it plays a cowbell sound when a sale goes through our billing system, powered by Recurly. I intend to re-write it, while also adding Google Analytics data, sales data, and maybe some more practical items like train schedules or something.
The second app I plan to build is a leaderboard for Active Transportation Alliance’s Commuter Challenge. It will be a dynamically updated scoreboard that the public can use to see how companies are stacking up against each other during Bike to Work Week here in Chicago. The idea is to create motivation for Team Leaders and participants. I also plan to hook it up with social media so that participants easily can share their accomplishments, promote Active Trans, and comment on the leaderboard to create excitement. The few Chicago cyclists I’ve shared the idea with think it really fills a need, so I have that going for me… which is nice.
So today I thought I would attempt to apply my knowledge to deploy a very basic part of the Monitor Mania app to the world via Heroku. The reason I decided to concentrate on deployment today was because I think it will be important to share my progress with my sponsor and my mentor, and this seemed to be the best way to do that. In addition, now that I know the scaffold command, I’m kind of at the point where I don’t know what to practice with regards to ruby. For example, for my apps, I will need multiple models and different data types, and we haven’t learned that stuff yet in class.
So… I created a new app using scaffold, and thought I wouldn’t try to customize too much, and instead just focus on getting the ugly thing live. My steps:
I tried to access my app via http://monitormania.herokuapp.com/slides, but that didn’t work. I get a 500 error. I tried to troubleshoot by running the app locally, but now it seems pissed that I’m not using sqlite3 anymore.
I’ve got some work to do.
In more ways than not, this was nothing like Cutco:
By the end of this week, I will accomplish these goals: